Troop Updates - October 2016
Post date: Oct 18, 2016 5:32:04 PM
The same reminders seem to be needed each month.
- Cell phones and electronics are not needed during troop meetings unless the SPL or your patrol leader have you researching something on the Internet. If your device happens to distract you during a meeting, the PLC has decided that the distraction will be removed until the end of the meeting. Continued distractions may result in the item being returned to your parent and not to you at the end of the meeting, along with an ensuing conversation about the distraction.
- Remember, uniforms are an important part of Scouting, so please wear yours to all troop meetings and activities unless informed otherwise. Regardless of rank the uniform includes a pen or pencil, Patrol Leaders should have a notepad or notebook, while uniforms for Scouts below the rank of First Class include your neckerchief and handbook.
- NEW: Unacceptably foul language seems to be creeping into the vocabulary of some of our Scouts. The adult leaders have said something to the offending Scouts when we’ve heard it in the past, but now it seems that it is being used where the adults can not necessarily hear it and address it, but other Scouts are hearing it. As a reminder, a “Scout is Clean,” so the use of foul language cannot and will not be tolerated at troop meetings or activities. Scouts, you should not tolerate foul language in your non-Scouting life either, there really is no need for it. The PLC is adopting a strategy of issuing a warning for the first incident, then removing a Scout from the activity or meeting for a subsequent incident. Continued issues will result in the Scout’s family being called to remove the Scout from the activity or meeting, regardless of where the troop might be located at that time.
Quick Reference Signups (Links are also included in the calendar entries on the troop website).
This is our primary method of activity registration. It is set up so the Scouts can indicate whether they are participating in an activity or not. Please use it.
- October 28 Haunted Hayride campout à http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0445a5a623a7fe3-haunted
- November 08 Troop Movie Night à www.SignUpGenius.com/go/10C0445A5A623A7FE3-troop
- November 18 Wadewitz Barn campout and Holiday Banquet à http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0445a5a623a7fe3-wadewitz1
- December 03 Fallen Heroes Wreath Laying à www.SignUpGenius.com/go/10C0445A5A623A7FE3-20161203
- December 16 Eagle Cave Campout à http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0445a5a623a7fe3-december
- January 13 IMR Fun Lodge Campout à www.SignUpGenius.com/go/10C0445A5A623A7FE3-20170113
- February 18 Adventure Rock MKE Lock-in à http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0445a5a623a7fe3-20170218
- 11, Troop Meeting.
- 18, Troop Meeting, deadline for Haunted Hayride Campout registration, all popcorn and wreath order forms are due.
- 25, Troop Meeting.
- 28-30 (Friday to Sunday), Haunted Hayride Campout at Camp OhDaKoTa.
- 01, Troop Meeting, deadline for Troop Movie Night registration, deadline for Wadewitz Campout & Holiday Banquet registration.
- 05 (Saturday), Troop Leadership Training and PLC meeting for PLC members and NYLT Scouts, location to be determined.
- 08, Election Day, so PLC is scheduling a troop movie night at Marcus Renaissance
- 12 (Saturday) – Popcorn and Wreath product pickup, 9am to 11am, at Mr. Waiss’ home.
- 12 (Tentative) – EAGLE SCOUT JOINT COURT OF HONOR for Mitch Russ and Chad Helland, details to be confirmed and communicated later.
- 15, Troop Meeting.
- 18-20 (Friday to Sunday), Wadewitz Barn campout and Holiday dinner, with Webelos. Signup is above.
- 22, no meeting.
- 29, Troop Meeting, deadline for Eagle Cave registration.
- 03 (Saturday), Fallen Heroes Wreath Placements
- 06, Troop Meeting.
- 13, Troop Meeting.
- 16-18 (Friday to Sunday), Eagle Cave campout, fee is $70.
- 20, Troop Meeting. Multiple school holiday concerts may cancel this meeting.
- 27, No troop meeting.
Future monthly activity plans
- January 13-15 – Fun Lodge campout at Indian Mound Scout Reservation. Register by January 02.
- February 18 (Saturday) – Adventure Rock lock-in, at the new location in Milwaukee. Register by February 07.
- March 17 – Spring Court of Honor and Lock-in, location to be determined.
- April 28-30 – Cycling campout, to be determined.
- May 19-21 – Canoe or Kayaking or Hiking campout, to be determined.
- June 02-03 – Scouting the Zoo campout, Chicago Day Trip possible later in the month.
- July 23-29 (Tentative) – Summer Camp at Ed Bryant Scout Reservation.
Other Activities offered by the Council (See Mr. Waiss or the Council website for details)
- November 05, 8am to noon – American Labor merit badge clinic, in Menomonee Falls.
- November 12, 8am to noon – Den Chief Training for those who have expressed an interest, at the Milwaukee Scout Service Center.
- November 13, 1pm to 5pm, Dog Care merit badge clinic, at the Wisconsin Humane Society, Milwaukee.
- December 10, 8am to 11am – Electricity merit badge clinic, WE Energies in Milwaukee.
- December 10, 10am to noon, Snow Sports merit badge clinic, at the Milwaukee Scout Service Center.
- March 04, 8am to 3pm, Merit Badge Tech Day at Gateway Technical College (online registration opens either February 04 or 11 at 8am).
- March 05, 1pm to 5pm, Dog Care merit badge clinic, at the Wisconsin Humane Society, Milwaukee.
- May 21 – NYLT Pre-Course Meeting (speak with your Scoutmaster if you are interested).
June 10-16 – Council NYLT Course.