Mid-March 2015 Troop Updates
Post date: Mar 12, 2015 6:42:16 PM
Troop updates going into the end of March.
- Saturday, March 14. Online registration for Gateway’s Merit Badge Tech Day opens at 8am. Scouts must be 12 years old by April 11 to participate (GTC rule, not mine). Website is http://www.gtc.edu/merit-badge-tech, fee is $8, more information on what will be offered is available on the website.
- Sunday, March 15. The Troop’s Scouting for Food bag drop is scheduled. Please be at church by 1pm. We have about 800 bags to get out in the area around the church, so the more participants we have the sooner we can get done. Drivers are needed as well, to transport Scouts and keep an eye out for any concerns.
- Tuesday, March 17 is a Troop Patrol Leaders Council (PLC) Meeting. The only Scouts that need to attend are those in senior leadership positions of responsibility (SPL, ASPL, Patrol Leaders, Scribe). Attendance by others is optional.
- Friday, March 20 is the Troop’s Spring Court of Honor, where awards and recognitions are presented in public. This is scheduled from 7pm to 8pm. All family members are invited, and even encouraged, to attend. We are starting a bit later than usual so that all have an opportunity to eat dinner in advance. Light refreshments will be served afterwards. The Troop’s semi-annual dues of $30 are due on this date, and our annual Family Friends of Scouting fundraiser presentation will be conducted as well (in other words, bringing your checkbook may not be a bad idea.)
- Friday, March 20. After the Court of Honor is a Troop Overnight Lock-in at the church. The PLC will determine if electronics will be permitted, but card games, board games, and the like are always welcome. The PLC may decide to do midnight bowling as well, so some pocket money would be desirable. Breakfast will be provided in the morning. Sleeping bag or blankets, and sleeping clothes, are the main items scouts will need to bring with them. If any parents are interested in staying overnight with the Troop please let me know, as we do need chaperones.
- Saturday, March 21 is the Scouting for Food bag pickup. We will start this at 9am, and should be done between 10 and 10:30. Again, parent drivers are needed to assist with this task.
- Tuesday, March 24 is a regular Troop meeting. It is also a Troop Parent’s Meeting. All parents, especially those new to the Troop, are encouraged to attend. Discussions will include the Pancake Breakfast, Troop organization, summer camp, and more.
- Tuesday, March 31 is a regular Troop meeting.
- Monday, April 06 is a Troop Committee Meeting. All parents are invited, especially if you are available to assist the troop in a behind-the-scenes role.
- Tuesday, April 07 is a regular Troop meeting. All Spring Popcorn order forms are due. We may have this meeting at a different location since this is also Election Day, so please monitor the calendar.
- Saturday, April 11 is Gateway’s Merit Badge Tech day. Check-in starts at 7:30 at the Gateway Kenosha campus. Ending time and location is determined by the merit badge registered for.
- Tuesday, April 14 is a regular Troop meeting.
- Saturday, April 18 is the Troop’s Annual Pancake Breakfast. Each Scout is expected to work at least one of the two shifts, either 7:30 to 10:30, or 10:00 to 1:00. Mrs. Helland has distributed information to the Scouts about what is needed, as well as tickets for pre-sales. This event is held at Atonement Lutheran Church, at 2915 Wright Avenue. This is a required event for the Scouts, as this is our primary source of funding for equipment repairs and replacement. If for any reason a Scout is not available to participate I must be informed in advance. Non-participation, with non-communication of non-participation, does negatively impact the Scout’s requirement of being “active in your Troop” at each and every rank.
- Friday to Sunday, April 24 to 26, is Troop camping at Wadewitz Nature Center in Rochester. Parents who can drive and/or attend should let me know. I estimate we will need at least five drivers.
- Friday to Sunday, May 22 to 24, is Troop camping and canoeing activity, with details still to be determined.
- Friday to Sunday, June 26 to 28, is Troop camping and whitewater activity, with details still to be determined.
- Sunday to Saturday, July 26 to August 01, is Troop Summer Camp at RS Lyle Scout Reservation. Information sheet has been distributed, but is also available on the Troop website.
If there are any questions please do not hesitate to let me know.